Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Lenten Journey



Here's a few scenes from  some of the( *MANY)tapestries in the Vatican. The first two were of the Passover when the angel of death struck all the firstborn males. The last one was a roman soldier with Jesus who had just died. The faces on the tapestries are amazing and to think they are woven together, centuries ago!

As mentioned before in earlier posts, I love the Christian author, Max Lucado. His words speak volumes to my heart and his descriptions of how he envisions scenes from the life of Jesus, blows my mind. I was thinking of the scriptures of when Mary took down her hair and washed Jesus' feet with her tears and perfume. John 12: 2-3. As a woman who has had long hair her whole life, why wouldn't I love that story? LOL!  But, I can so picture this scene. Women during the time of Jesus did not let their hair down. And to do so in front of a man was almost blasphemy! 
While in Jerusalem , I  got several items to take home as souvenirs of my trip that were unique and special. And this one was no exception. Actually, Terry is the one who chose this one while I was busy bartering about something else in the marker! I left him looking at the  handpainted , large wooden egg painted icons, by monks. He was fascinated with those eggs. They had so many of them and they ranged in size and stories depicted on them. The monks that painted them, spent their days carving the eggs/ painting the eggs and choosing special scenes from the Bible. The one Terry walked up with  from John 12: 2-3. I love it b/c the one he chose  represented so much to me.  Hair (lol)--serving--women in the Bible--faith , to name a few. (Guess I need to find it and make a pix of it before I end this post, right? Now I'm freaking as I can't seem to remember where I put my egg!  LOL!)....*3 hours later!  WOW, it took me THREE hours to find my Icon Egg! Geez!!!! I was in panic mode but found it in a box, finally! It's one of my treasures and I was so afraid it had gotten thrown away. Here it is in all it's beauty! :) (it is painted all the way around, too. So glad to have my beautiful egg back on the sideboard where it belongs! (and will stay!)!





Here is what Max Lucado says about that scripture.....


“Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume” (John 12:2–3 NIV).
Is Mary in the kitchen? No she is worshiping, for that is what she loves to do. But this time Martha doesn’t object. She has learned that there is a place for praise and worship, and that is what Mary is doing. And what is Mary’s part in the dinner? She brings a pint of very expensive perfume and pours it on Jesus’ feet, then wipes his feet with her hair. The smell of the perfume fills the house, just like the sound of praise can fill a church.
An earlier Martha would have objected. Such an act was too lavish, too extravagant, too generous. But this mature Martha has learned that just as there is a place in the kingdom of God for sacrificial service, there is also a place for extravagant praise."

From
Cast of Characters
© (Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2008) Max Lucado








#carryontowardsEaster #myiconegg #beautifulreminderofMarysloveofherLord #eggbackonsideboard #Easteriscoming #buttravelthejourneyfirstthisweek #MaryworshipedatHisfeet

No comments: