Monday, March 14, 2016

Day 33, Lenten Journey

Riverchase Memories : Our Home in the '90's
Because we're tired of watching so much about the Presidential race, we've been watching other shows lately! Less stressful! LOL! A couple we watch are those "fixer upper" shows on HGTV and also those shows about moving : Caribbean Living. Like I'm obsessed with these shows.  There's something appealing to me about getting a sledge hammer and knocking down walls. (and, there is a lot of symbolism in that also!!!!!!!!). And, something WILDLY appealing about living in the Caribbean! So, thinking about those 2 shows in particular are the crux of my blog today. I'll write about the house show , "fixer uppers" today. So how does that , in any way, make for a blog about Christian living? LOTS!

First, the "fixer upper"/flipping houses shows. (Apparently, I'm not the only one to like these shows as both my girls, I know, love them too, I found out after I was talking about them!!! LOL!)  I love that couples go looking for those houses that are cheap in price and ready for renovation. BIG renovations, in most cases.  These decorators and "flippers"that are helping them complete their dream of a beautiful home within their budgets  really have an eye for good solid houses that have been neglected/ repossessed/ or that are just very old and outdated. I love love love to watch how they can find houses, many built in the 1920's, and update them and make them modern while keeping the integrity of the home intact. And, at the end of the show, presenting them with the WOW factor. Houses that were termite ridden/ fallen down messes and completely re-done...(Oh yes, you see where i'm going now!)...

I can see God doing that in lives, too! He can see the beautiful outcome of a house that has been neglected or old or falling apart. He gives us tools, such a sledgehammers, to knock down walls. Walls of anger/jealousy/frustration/pain/disappointment/fear. Just like the house flippers do, God gives a whole new paint job to the outside AND inside of our houses! Stripping away old paint and covering with fresh, new and updated paints. Sometimes the "flipper" has to get the old house down to the framework. The bare bones. Moving walls. Getting that sledgehammer and knocking down cabinets that were shabby/old or neglected. Changing the arrangement of rooms and even moving some rooms to another location.  Interesting to me is that many of the (lucky) people that are chosen to have either their home or another one the flipper is trying to sell them, is that they don't trust the one in charge. They argue! Every. Step. Of. The. Way.  They can't see the way it will turn out!( and, even though they have probably seen how beautiful some of the houses turn out ,  by these builders, otherwise they wouldn't agree to do it!)!!! TRUSTING the builder. That's the bottom line.

I know that my "house" has been re-built. It started about 26 years ago when I went on an "Emmaus Walk". (another story/another time). Let's just say that  the Emmaus 3 day week-end that squeezes 72 hours of grace and love changed my whole Christian way of living. if you are interested in going on a "Walk to Emmaus", let me know. I'd love to tell you about it). That was when my "house", so to speak, was taken down piece by piece. The "renovation" didn't happen just on the  Emmaus week-end. It took months of letting what I heard "filter down" deep within my soul. I couldn't express to others what I had gone through, but that wasn't what I was supposed to do.  The week-end began God's "flipping my house" and it was on His time vs. mine (unlike the time frame that is given on the shows on T.V., haha)..  Each "room" I had in my house had to be re-done as well.  I had some good old fashioned "knocking down walls" days. Re-arranging room days. I was scared of how the house would look . But, as I saw each "room" change, I was happier/ more at peace and relieved. Don't get me wrong, I have lots of rooms that are still in need of re-painting!  And, even a few walls still need to be knocked down, too. But, my "house" that I live in, is looking far more livable. Fresh coats of paint, after stripping the old paint, have given my rooms much better places for me to expand.
I do miss this house


So, now that your " house " has been re-done, then what? Just live in it and enjoy all the newness and fresh coats of paint and carpet? well, yes, but just like anything else, a new house will eventually lose the "new house smell" (rats. I love that smell.).  How do you keep it being fresh and livable?  Keeping things clean and fresh and updated. 

One thing for me, is finally having a  GUEST ROOM. You see, for so many years, all our bedrooms were filled. SIX bedrooms to be exact. When we lived in Riverchase, all the kids were upstairs. (we had a big house, lol). I remember, climbing those stairs in the morning and looking down the hall.
Natalie's room was the first on the right. Door shut, I could hear giggles inside as she talked on the phone or tried on 20 outfits before she had to rush out the door while Michael was screaming "hurry up or I'm leaving you". Next room was Katie's room on the right. Sweet little girly girl room all in pink and she was probably all snuggled in her little daybed with her ten million beanie babies all around her. Right across the hall from Katie, was Patrick's room -complete with bunk beds and a iguana (ugh). He was probably snoring because I always had to practically drag him from his bed each morning to get up! LOL! Going on down the hall, past the 3 boys bathroom, was Michael's room. Always neat and clean with posters on the walls and lots of jeans. He loved his jeans. And lastly, Charles' room on the end. ALWAYS clean b/c he only lived there a year before (and because he was a neat freak) he went to college and I was always sad to see it empty during the week. But, before he left, he , too would be in there , most likely studying.
sometimes I feel like the kids are still young and we're still in that house!


 Yep, I would walk down the long hall and sometimes I would be happy there were not clothes lying in the hall. Or toys. Or I would be annoyed that I had just stepped on a tiny car . Or scream "TURN THAT MUSIC DOWN".
Memories!
Yes, I would hear all kinds of sounds. LOUD music. Different music in different rooms. Giggling. Arguments. Laughter. Asking for toilet paper. Or a clean shirt. Or "where are my shoes?" or "someone moved my homework, where is it?". And, I would stop and sigh and just lean against the wall thinking about all I had to do that day. And breathe that prayer, "God help me with all my many blessings"! Funny, I can't remember WHAT  all I had to do on days now. Probably thinking about going to the store. Cleaning all those rooms. Buying all the million and one things five kids need. And looking forward to 7:30 when the house would suddenly be quiet with everyone leaving for school.  But, today,  THIS morning, All I can remember is how I would stand in the hall, morning after hectic morning and looking down the long passageway and being slightly overwhelmed at my responsibilities/ days events/ getting kids off to school. By the time they left, I was too tired to even THINK about going back up and cleaning! LOL!....But, now, NOW. Now I look back and realize that those ROOMS upstairs in Riverchase were forming how those , then, children would be building their future "rooms".  . How well I did , as their mom,  I have no idea. I know at times I was overwhelmed. Other times I felt over-BLESSED. Many times I felt I was only living in the moment with no look towards the future that I now am in.  And, some days, like THIS morning, I wish I could go back.Just one more time (sniff sniff).....
so many memories here!


Today, I don't "walk the halls" in the mornings anymore. That brings me two things. Relief (haha) and sadness. But, NOW, each one of the 5 "Small Frys" have their own houses to take care of. I am there to help them in any way I can . That means offering advice on how to "flip their house". But mainly, I work  on my own renovations and, I see that I still have some to fix a few rooms that need updating. And guess what? I FINALLY have that  GUEST ROOM that I have wanted since the day we got our first house! AND--
I'm ready for visitors!  (so , come on!)...And, the best thing is, when Jesus comes back, He can have  His own room up there! (if He doesn't mind having a crib/toys and a few stains on the carpet !)! Truth is,   I miss my 5 Small Frys being upstairs but now I can welcome a clean room to my Lord! Come on Jesus! Be my guest!

#carrythecross #fixinguptheguestroom #missmy5kidsinthemorningstill #myhouseisquietfinally #needafewmorerenovations #Jesushastheguestroom







No comments: