Friday, March 11, 2016

Day 30, Lenten Journey



Have you ever been on a trip that you've planned and been excited about and it seemed like, once on the journey, that everything that could go wrong,  did go wrong? Such a letdown. Such a disappointment. Sometimes that's way it is on
" Life's Journey". You're on the trip of your lives, SO happy and things are incredibly wonderful when, literally, when things start going crazy wrong. (I am not a pessimistic person but there have been times, I admit, when things are going so great I think, "something is BOUND to go wrong. Things are too good." BOOM!)... There are so many variables in life and so many things that can/could happen. And some do.  It could be a myriad of things, just to mention a few that you are acutely aware of. Like these: ....illness. Loss of someone dear. Job loss. An unexpected diagnosis . Disappointment. A deep hurt by someone you love that you thought loved you back.  Loss of security. Miscommunication.  Being persecuted for something you did not do but getting nailed for it. Loss of a friendship.  Hurt by a parent. Despair. Distrust. Disillusionment. The list is endless. And maybe the worst? Pain for someone else that is experiencing something and your hands are tied. Wishing you could be take their place. Yes, we've all experienced those things. And, when you look at the innocence of children, especially your own,  you almost want to cry for them because you want to protect them from that in their future.  Or even when they become adults. Maybe you wish you could "take on" their hurts/pains. But , it's not to be. For everyone will experience tragedy/hurt/death/illness/disappointment/sorrow . EVERYONE.  Some, we feel, more than others. why does God allow that?  Obviously, God is not of the human mind. He allows things to happen but He is not zapping us for our clumsy missteps. If so, the human race would be gone. He is our loving and comforting One and He sent the Holy Spirit to be that for us when we experience those things. Remember, Jesus mentioned "the Helper".

John 14:26

26" But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."




 Have you ever heard the word Paraclete???? (NOT Parakeet! HAHA! One day I'll blog about my Aunt Ruth's PARAKEET! It talked. Really. Now  you are totally convinced I have A.D.D. if you weren't before, lol. And , now, when you hear the word Paraclete, you will remember PETE, Aunt Ruth's parakeet!). ANYWAY, here is what "Bible Hub" says about Paraclete:

 PARACLETE par'-a-klet:

1. Where Used:

This word occurs 5 times in the New Testament, all in the writings of John. Four instances are in the Gospel and one in the First Epistle. In the Gospel the in the Epistle, 1 John 2:1. "Paraclete" is simply the Greek word transferred into English. The translation of the word in English Versions of the Bible is "Comforter" in the Gospel, and "Advocate" in the Epistle. The Greek word is parakletos, froth the verb parakaleo. The word for "Paraclete" is passive in form, and etymologically signifies "called to one's side." The active form of the word is parakletor, not found in the New Testament but found in Septuagint in Job 16:2 in the plural, and means "comforters," in the saying of Job regarding the "miserable comforters" who came to him in his distress.

2. General Meaning:

In general the word signifies:

(1) a legal advocate, or counsel for defense,

(2) an intercessor,

(3) a helper, generally.



Don't you LOVE reading "called to one's side"? OMG. And how about this....COMFORTERS.  I love that. And I love "comforters". Here I'm writing about the kind that covers your bed. Appropriate name for sure.  I remember the first time I had ever been under a real comforter. It was in Switzerland and in our beautiful old hotel. It was HUGE. It was snow white and filled with lofty feathers in pockets all over it. (I have a picture of Terry somewhere in my gazillions of them, under it sound asleep. After the long flight and trip, and drafty cool room in Lusanne, nothing felt better than to get under that thing and SLEEP. So, the minute we returned to the States, I had to have one.  The comforter wraps me in warmth and softness but I still miss the one in Switzerland! )....
 I also  think of a comforter as the arms of my daddy when I was a little girl. My protector from hurt and my rock. I think of the arms of my husband. Strong/supportive. I think of so many things when I read the word , comforter. But, how about when WE become the comforter? I think we're called to be that many times during our lives. From the moment our newborn baby is placed in our arms.
Beckett Michael with his Uncle Michael :)
When we minister to someone we love. When we surround one in death. Or when watching someone we love and you see them suffer. It could be a friend. It most likely will be a family member. Or how about this, a STRANGER? We can all be called to be a comforter for someone else. It's easy. It's called, being involved. Reaching out. With arms open wide. With a letter of encouragement. With prayers. Wrapping ourselves around them like a blanket of goose feathers. Or dove feathers.

I shot this pix of a dove in Assisi, Italy. One of my most fav pix ever.

I am so thankful for the Paraclete in my life when I am going through pain. Sometimes ,(sometimes! ), I can only whisper, "help me, Holy Spirit". And guess what, that's enough. When I try to "stand in the gap" for someone I do the same. Because we cannot, (and should not), have privy to all information to someone's pain. But we can be there. With a card. With a prayer. With a hug. With scripture. And sometimes, by struggling with someone we love in their grief, we are changed, too, because we take the "I" out of things and put "others" in it's place. We become , um, involved (don't listen to people who might say "I'm not getting involved in that". Isn't that what we're called to do??)? 
As we become more involved, we are helping The Holy Spirit, Our Advocate, in His job.
That, my friends , is what it's all about. 
(it ain't the Hokey Pokey).

#LentenJourney #Paraclete #standinthegap #beHishands&feet #stillmissSwisscomforter #besomeoneshelper #carrythecross #wearealmosttoEaster #bedovefeathers4someone #nothehokeypokey #way2manyhashtags #sorrynotsorry


No comments: