Sunday, February 14, 2016

DAY FIVE St. Valentine's Day



It's Valentine's Day! And today I used one of my mother's best pieces of advice, like ever. I re-cycled Terry's Valentine Card from the past 2 years straight! HAHAHA!  Just like Daddy, he didn't notice! Mimi told me she would put daddy's Valentine Card in the buffet and pull it out every year. And every year he was thrilled with it, never realizing it was one he got every year!

Church was great today. Lyle's sermon was right on target today. He began by going over the scripture of Jesus going into the wilderness for 40 days and being tempted by the devil. (the devil that some ministers do not believe exist, btw. ). 
The Gospel reading: Luke 4: 1-13.  

The scripture says that Jesus returned from Jordan, "full of the Holy Spirit" and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness for 40 days, being tempted by the devil.  Lyle went on to talk about how when we are "on the mountaintop" with God, to  WATCH OUT.  That the devil really loves to knock out the people who are the closest to God. The ones who are trying to do their best to lead the Christian life. He mentioned so many ministers that have fallen b/c of temptations when they were at the height of their career . So many people who have lived their lives for Christ and doing "all the right things" when...BOOM! Here comes "the devil". I loved that he mentioned that the devil comes looking "good". Don't expect the horns/tail and pitchfork. I've told my children all their lives he won't come looking like that. He comes looking, well, beautiful sometimes. Intriguing. Interesting. Mesmerizing. That it's so easy to fall for his tricks b/c he makes things look too good to be true . That he  KNOWS SCRIPTURE (see above scripture, he quotes it to Jesus Himself!). That his job is to thwart/deceive/undermine/discredit through many ways, AFTER he sinks his hooks into you . I have been victim to him so many times. Just when I think I'm on the right track, many times I have had my little "train self" (get it, track? Train? I know, lame use of words, lol)  bumped off the track. And it's not always easy to get back on the RIGHT track afterwards. Maybe I said something I shouldn't have. Or laughed about something that was hurtful to someone else. Or ignored someone that I know I should have been attentive to. Many number of things that come my way. And WILL come my way. It's a battle every. single. day.... Even  when I'm standing firm in my  faith when around some might think I'm a bit wack-o in my beliefs, do I even defend my beliefs? Sometimes.

 It ain't easy being a Christian, peeps. It's freakin' hard.


Which brings me to question #2 from Tozer's list that Lyle asked us to go over during Lent.

#2. What do you  THINK about?

Oh my gosh. This is a hard one. My short circuited brain is going in a million different ways: all. day. long.  I sometimes have songs bouncing in my brain/ thinking about something/ texting someone/eating and watching TV all at the same time. I am so good I can do all that at once.
Obviously, I am NOT good at doing multiple things. I've always "prided" myself that I am a "multi-tasker". I really don't think calling yourself that is a compliment. But, yet, having 5 kids (and now 9 grandkids),  I HAD to be. And have to be. But, it's not always good to be that. I still have a million thoughts running in my mind on any given day, but have trouble sometimes focusing on one really important thought, at a time. I might LOOK like I have it "all together", but in reality, I worry/ I stress/ I regret/ I freak.  I cannot do all things. (except thro Christ who strenghtens me). 
And, here is a little "Jan Story" giving a little glimpse of  how the devil gets me

Scene: Me at desk trying to do a devotion when....

devil:.."you're not doing a good job keeping up with all the kids and grandkids". 

Jan:  "I try! I do! But I have so many!" (RULE NUMBER ONE: Don't EVER try talking to the devil!!!!!!)

Devil: " Isn't this what you always wanted? Having a "QUIVER of kids"  and  now you can't even keep up with everything. you're a mom who doesn't keep up with everything your kids are doing, much less the grandkids. Yet you love to show their pictures and brag on them. You're a liar  and you are too un-organized to even keep up one day with everyone. Give it up. Go make a scrapbook and play like this is real life. Cause you're not living a real life. You're a fake".

 Jan: "God, help me! Help me do the best I can, PLEASE, help me be a better wife/mom/grandmother! Show me how to better organize my time and life and keep more in touch, with no only my family but my friends. I admit it, I fail every day. But I need Your help!"

Devil: "God is too busy to care about your little issues. Get over it. Go read your studies /make your silly pictures and scrapbooks--while I laugh--you're the biggest joke God ever created. Like really".

Jan: (flipping to Ephesians to Ephesians 6:10-18 and trying desperately to put on the "whole armor of God" while reading).." God, please, help me to focus more and keep my daily thoughts on track.Please help me to know how to keep connected with my family and friends. I'm doing a terrible job of things."

God: "I am glad you come to Me.  Put on the whole armor I give you. Read Ephesians. You are in a battle. But guess who wins? I DO. But, you must be watchful.....I love you. I forgive you. I am here. Everything you do is important to me.I forgive you. Keep working for Me. I will never leave you. Don't forget to put that sword of the Spirit in your hands because it is My Word. Go, and rest knowing I am with you.
".

Devil: (slinks away. FOR THE MOMENT).


#carryon #40days #imtrying #devilleavemealone #ephesians6



No comments: