Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Day 15 Lenten Journey

My heart belongs to;  ASSISI, ITALY

After looking at my pictures from the Vatican yesterday, I decided to go back and look again at some of the many I made on our incredible trip to Italy. We were with the Heaths and when we were planning our trip, we all decided to choose a place that each of us wanted to go. I chose Assisi. I have always had a special place in my heart for St. Francis of Assisi and wanted to go there. Since it wasn't too far from where we stayed in Poggibonsi (our central chalet in Tuscany). Terry  wanted to go to  Siena (San Gimignano)/ Yvette wanted to go to  Cinque Terre/ I wanted to go to Assisi. Don said he'd go anywhere! So we did it all!....During Lent, and thinking things spiritual, brought to mind one of the most spiritual places I've ever been. Honestly, it was such a lovely and peaceful place. Lots of people, yes. But reverent and quiet. You just didn't want to spoil the serenity of the town. It was a lot of walking, lots of churches in St. Francis' honor/memory. He was SUCH a humble man, he wore a cossack/tunic  that is still framed in one of the churches there . His cross, (that spoke to him! Hey, I don't deny it!), is also behind a grate in one of the churches as you can see in the picture. St. Francis was a humble man and would probably be embarrassed that there is so many statues to him and churches to him. They say he was "the ecumenical man": One whose brothers included rich and poor, saints and sinners and even non-Christians. And of course, his love for all living things---birds/animals is another reason I love his legacy. It was kind of weird and at the same time, meaningful, that he is buried there in the church.  I am over and beyond blessed that I got to where one of my Christian heroes lived/served. It was amazing. ...I apologize in advance for so many pictures, but I hope you will take a look at them, anyway! While the Vatican was unbelievably gorgeous, to me it was somewhat opulent. In complete contrast was Assisi. While, of course, the churches were gorgeous in Assisi, the humbleness of St. Francis was stark contrast. And so I believe our journey should be. Humble/ welcoming all people/ loving God's creatures and taking care of them and having a humble spirit.....*Thank you, St. Francis (of Assisi) for allowing me to see your home/your life/ your ministry and your obedience to God. I kissed the marble sandals as I walked away. For to be such a servant as he was, is one I should always strive after.
*Oh, and how about God sent a dove for me to capture flying past the church there????? my fav pix (from the ten thousand I made)!  




































#LentenJourney #40days #heroesofthefaith #StFranciss #Assisi #humbleman #leadme2thecross

No comments: