Thursday, November 10, 2011

A different kind of gift

How quickly time goes by!!!!!! I remember my grandmother saying that when I was a child and I would roll my eyes. I would focus on the coming of Christmas and feel it couldn't get here fast enough!!! Now, before I can turn around, another holiday is here---another year is past. The past 7 years have gone exceedingly fast! Having, now, 7 grandchildren---it seems impossible that our two oldest ones are seven years old. Where has THAT time gone???  Our babies are 6 and 7 months old now!!!!  Again, those months have quickly slipped by and through the fingers of time. Unbelievable.




One thing I changed this year for my oldest kids is I am not buying them gifts from a store this year. I am making gifts from the heart. No more sweaters in boxes two sizes too large or big. No more money wasted on material things that fade from the memory by February. Instead, I decided last January that I would begin working on something for my five children, and their families that I could work on all year. "Project 365" inspired me. (* Project 365 is  the latest craze, mainly among those who love to photograph and make pictures. As the name implies, you make a picture EACH DAY for the year . I have faithfully done that each day! (granted, some days I have to go back and print out a week's worth in one day! HAHA). I got a little delayed with mine, I started Jan.5th. But, that's ok, that was my Big Mama's Birthday so that made that day seem even more special. I LOVE it and will definitely do it again starting Jan. 1, 2012!)!


 I can't tell everything I have done because this is my children's Christmas present and I know they read this.  SOMETIMES. HAHAHAHA! But, yes, it has to do with PHOTOGRAPHY and also SCRAPBOOKING. Two of my loves. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the two go hand in hand or what I have been creating. But think about it for a minute! I have 5 kids so I have to do 5 of "the- secret- gift -tha-t I -can't- tell- you- about". HAHAHA
And, since we won't all be together on Christmas I have to wait until we ARE together which will be Patrick's birthday, Dec. 30th. Anyway, I'm excited and, while they might not love it that much NOW (the girls will, the boys will be like, "oh, that's nice." LOL!), one day they will. Hopefully. HAHA!
I even sent out an email telling all the kids the only gifts they can give me and Big T are home made ones. So! We'll see!*** Of course all this does NOT apply to our precious grand-children. THey will get their usual toys and gifts from us!!! 


As far as the comments from those who say "Christmas is for kids" I disagree. CHRISTmas is for those who celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus. HIS birth---with all the beauty of the story manifested in the love we share with , not only our families, but with our friends and, yes, strangers. Strangers who might look like Shepherds (not so fancy dressed) or Wise Men (those who have the money but not know Jesus or the innkeepers, (who don't have a clue). So, it's our responsibility as Christians, to tell them. I am a big believer in "show not tell"---that's the way I roll. If I can witness, I will. Otherwise I would rather let actions speak for my faith. (which sometimes b/c of my human-ness, just fails). Anyway, I try!


So, this is my first "sermon" of the Holiday season. Get ready. LOL



No comments: