Monday, November 7, 2016

Sunday School on the (beautiful) lawn at Samford

For my class lesson on Sunday, (yesterday, Nov. 6), I decided to do something different. The KIDS love my "different" ideas...always! (Thank goodness for childlike innocence and trust!). I almost always do my own lesson plan---the lesson plans provided are GOOD, but , well, ahem, BORING sometimes. And I know my kids , well, I know the BOYS, will NOT sit still for any boring lesson. So, on Tuesday of last week (this is the day I spend planning the coming Sunday lesson), I decided to give the kids a little questionnaire to fill out as they sat OUTSIDE (thank you GOD for a perfectly PERFECT outside lesson morning). The "questionnaire" in question , was questions that came from my head and really what I wanted to do was give the PARENTS (,shh! don't tell the kids!) , a little insight to their own children's  understanding of Jesus/ their faith walk and where they are right now. I didn't read their answers as this was for them/their parents, BUT some of them did share some of them with the group. And, as always, I am amazed and humbled by their understanding of faith/Jesus and service to others....

When we got outside I asked if they would "find a spot" away from the crowd to read the booklet I gave them and to write down their feelings. As we started to begin, two "little brothers" of 2 of my girls came running out. Of course, the sisters were appalled ("Go back to your own class!", one sister said, lol) and as I watched him walk away, so sad, I almost ran after him. Suddenly, he was back! "Mom said I could!" (such a sibling thing as the older sister rolled her eyes!)!. I said, quickly, "OF COURSE you can !" So, we had 2 young siblings (both boys) to add to our group. And , as always, God brought them for a reason.....

The kids found their spots (I almost died when one climbed up to the column of the chapel!) and soon they were busy and reading and writing. I told them to disregard me, I was going to make pictures of them/the area. (they are used to this now and just don't pay attention to me making pix anymore, thank goodness). The hour was flying by. We gathered back together for sharing and prayer. It was one of the BEST days ever. I had mentioned, during prayer time, that I felt the Holy Spirit was definitely with us. After the prayer, one of the precious little "siblings" said, "Miss Jan, I think I felt the Holy Spirit blowing my hair during the prayer". I had to bite my lip to keep from crying. YES, this child was supposed to be with us today!!!

Here are a few of the pictures of our day yesterday. I wish I had made some video but I don't ever want to take away from their experience and video taping might do that. Instead, look carefully at their faces. THEY GOT IT.

Thank you God for allowing me the privilege and honor to "teach" these little ones. Let me re-phrase that. Thank You, GOD , for letting these little ones teach ME.





































No comments: